Thoughts on the Art of Leadership PDF Print E-mail
Written by Administrator   
Sunday, 23 September 2007

 

 

This section is a collection of random thoughts I've developed (and blatently stolen) over the years on the topic of "leadership"...

Some of the things I have come to believe about leadership include:

 



* Leadership is the art of engaging the followership

* Leaders are professional Decision Makers by trade: they are paid to make decisons

* Leaders have the confidence to make decisions with no more than 80% of the available data (the remaining 20% of the data will take 80% of the time)

* Leaders know when to hunt and when to farm

* Leaders work hard at catching someone doing something right

* Leaders have the courage to realize when they are "coaching for height" and take decisive action

* There's often quite a big difference between "management" and "leadership".

* Leaders reward

  • performance not attendance,
  • achievements not proposals,
  • risk-taking not risk-aversion,
  • initiative not arrogance

* Leaders seek alignment on the "what" and then allow their team to be the expert of the "how"

* Leaders sustainable weigh the "what" with the "how" as opposed to "the what at all costs"

* "first who, then what" can be a very powerful leadership tool 

* Leaders are paid to operate in the gray zone of seeking a balance between the needs of a company's employees, customers, and shareholders

* As a leader I believe that I am often the dumbest guy on my team 

* Leaders deliver all of the above within a context of integrity, respect, and above all humility, at all times

Comments (0)Add Comment

Write comment
quote
bold
italicize
underline
strike
url
image
quote
quote
smile
wink
laugh
grin
angry
sad
shocked
cool
tongue
kiss
cry
smaller | bigger

security code
Write the displayed characters


busy
Last Updated ( Wednesday, 18 February 2009 )
 
Joomla School Template by Joomlashack
School Joomla Websites